Sunday, January 14, 2007

First nice weather of 2007!


Wow, after a week of heavy rain and wind, Peakland was finally treated to a day of bright clear skies and cold tempratures. Unluckily for me i could only go out in the morning due to revision, so i made the most of it and got the bus to Baslow and walked over Baslow Edge, Curbar Edge, White Edge and Flask Edge to Owler Bar. On the plus side it was probably better that I came home eary as the winds buffetting the Eastern Edges (the hill group I was on) were incredible- i could barely walk on the descent from Flask Edge and it chilled me to the bone.

The plod along the tops was good, overtaking most of the crowds and all of the annoying Duke of Edinborough morons (D of E sucks) on Curbar Edge with stunning views over Peakland in all directions. However, i made a hash of climbing the Eagle Stone on Baslow Edge- usualy it is an easy bit of bouldering- and fell off numerous times before giving in. Thank god no-one was watching.

I Finished off the walk by visiting my local hill, Flask Edge, and sat in the ditch munching tiffin with the summit to myself as usual. Got home for 13:00 feeling sightly headachey and refreshed- any amount of time on the hills is better than non at all.


Oh, here is a photo i took from White Edge Moor of Kinder Scout with Shatton Moor, Lose Hill and Win Hill Pike in front.


No comments: